Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%

Hôtel de Ville de Niort

Place Martin-Bastard
79000 Niort
Phone : +33 5 49 78 79 80
A miniature version of the one in Paris, it was built by the municipal architect Lasseron in the Neo-renaissance style (porch with caissons, mullioned windows, dormers of roofs surmounted by pediments).
The first stone is laid by the President of the Republic, Félix Faure, in 1897. The construction lasts four years. In order to mark the supremacy of secularism over religion, the municipality of the time requested the construction of a belfry which thus hid the bell tower of Notre-Dame.
The communal coat of arms, located above the clock, represents a dungeon tower and the Sèvre flowing at its feet. Holding the shield, the savages, powerful hercules, symbolize the strength of the walls that defended the city and by extension the economic strength of the city in the Middle Ages.
In 2015, the common house of Niortais is inscribed on the additional list of Historical Monuments.
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 1 - Niort Butterfly Tea
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 2 - Niort Carte postale ancienne, collection Clouzot
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 3 - Niort Carte postale ancienne, collection Clouzot
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 4 - Niort Le Courrier de l'Ouest, Marie Delage
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 1 - Niort
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 2 - Niort
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 3 - Niort
  • Hôtel de Ville de Niort 4 - Niort
  • Français
  • English
  • Nederlands
  • Deutsch
  • Español