Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%

And if Coulon was told me …

Family Alexandra - Responsable Communication By Alexandra - Responsable Communication, the 29 June 2018

It is the quite new visit which proposes Alexa of the House of the Swamp from Poitou. As his title indicates it, we are on a told version, between reality and fiction!

Alexa suggests us discovering the village from three peculiarities coulonnaises.

  • The house which makes the angle between the place of the Ecu and the Coutume
  • The today concrete footbridge armed
  • The "prêchoir outside" with the church.

Let us begin by observing this beautiful bourgeois house, its continuation and its hall which allows to join the street of the Port in Molds.
We are in the XVIIIth century. A quarrel between neighbors will set the innkeeper Pierre Grelet to the Lord of Coulon, Monsieur de Montbrun. No application for permit to build at that time, an informal request for the owner who refuses! The innkeeper, the future mayor of Coulon, wanting to reach his purposes, will make dig a channel, build a shed to store the goods of his clientele, without forgetting also to think also of him with an apartment in the continuity of his house. A trial in 1782 bringing into conflict both parts and agreing with the Lord will follow itself. The channel will be filled, but the part added of the house still exists!

Let us pursue our way in the direction of the quay Louis Tardy and let us stop at the level of the footbridge. Today, of course, connect both banks seem obvious. But, it was not always the case! The latter was built further to an unfortunate event. It was custom to tell of to the children not to approach too much near banks for fear of falling in Wean her and be attracted in the depths by the Red Arm. For a long time, Coulonnais spoke about a little boy caught by the marine monster. It was the young person Louis-Charles Mussat. He indeed drowned itself wanting to help a needlewoman cross the bank. All the village, moved by this drama, helped the family collect enough money to make build a first wooden footbridge in 1879. The one that you see today a date of 1962.

Finally, our last stage will be on the place of the Church. The church the Holy Trinity, of Romanic origin, will be reshaped with some additions of Gothic style. But, what we notice especially, it is sound "prêchoir outside". Until the XIXth century, it is necessary to know that an arm of Weans wound her through the village up to the church to favor the navigation between Niort and Coulon. Thus we can imagine the priest of the time to preach in the face of the crowd. It turns out that this forgery prêchoir has never had of religious function due to its configuration. He just shelters a narrow staircase which rises to the bell tower. Here is anecdotally.

Good visit!

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

  • Français
  • English